Monday 17 December 2012

Pulpit "Essay Readers" Need Not Apply

I have said it often, there are far too many 'essay readers' in our pulpits today with the result that they are far more concerned to get something out of our heads rather than get something into the hearts and heads of their hearers.  Preaching is about communication, communication of the highest and most exalted order; yet it is here that we fail so lamentably.  How sorrowful I am when I think that I used to describe my ministry as "a Bible teaching ministry."  This type of ministry is vitally important, but if that is all we are doing, then God be merciful to us.  My sinful heart was so full of pride of the worst kind that I blush to even say this.  My heart is pained to even admit this travesty.

Is your 'preacher' a mere "essay reader"?  Or does he come with a heart burdened with the Word of the Lord for his congregation?  Are his sermons so well constructed that they have no room for the life of the Spirit?  Is the argument and logic so tight that there is no room in the sermon for Christ?  Does your minister come with a fresh message from the living God or with a lifeless message to a lifeless congregation from the living God?  If so, there is probably nothing more obscene that such a minister.  A minister of what, I might ask?  And a minister of Whom?


No comments: