Sunday 1 April 2012

KEEPING UP APPEARANCES


I’m sure, like me, you enjoyed the popular British comedy TV series, Keeping Up Appearances.  It was so funny.  It was about a ‘lady’ who considered herself much more ‘upper class’ than all those around her.  She kept her husband under her thumb, and took every opportunity to ‘take him down a notch.’

But keeping up appearances is not confined to the land of comedy make-believe.  The same kind of outlook permeates the evangelical church in the 21st century.  This attitude shows itself in the determined effort to present the church in much brighter colours than is really the case, just as Hyacinth Buckét does.  Evangelicals within the churches are very keen to adopt this practice of presenting her as near perfect as possible.  So any implicit or implied criticism of ‘my church’ is frowned upon.  Any criticism, however mild or constructive, is not welcome.  

What accounts for this?  One thing.  The church, especially ‘my church,’ is above criticism.  It might embrace liberalism in all its nastiness, but I defend its right to do so.  It might totally disregard the authority of Scripture and ordain women to the office of eldership, but who cares?  It’s ‘my church.’  It may even have a love affair with Romanism, but so long as that love affair does not impinge on what I’m doing, it matters little.  ‘My church’ is not to be criticised by anyone, and certainly not by someone who is not a member of ‘my church.’  Even internal criticism is not appreciated by colleagues.  

The big fear is that if too much of a stir is raised about the spiritual state of the church, I may have to give up my well-paid job, leave my home, and end up on the dole.  What will happen my pension if I take a stand for the truth within the church?

No.  The safest move is to strive to keep up appearances, regardless of how that violates conscience.  The best policy is to play the church game, and abide by its rules.  And this can best be done by refusing to take Scripture seriously. 

No comments: