Saturday 5 November 2011

Evangelistic Liberty!


For many years, I found myself in bondage when it came to preaching evangelistically and offering Christ in his death and resurrection to my hearers as the only hope of the world.  If Christ died only for the elect, I reasoned, what is the point of offering him to people who might not be the elect?  In fact, what is the point in evangelising at all, if God has the whole thing sown up nicely?  Or, why be involved in mission at all?  After all, God “will save his people from their sins”[1] in his own way and in his own time![2]  Indeed, why bother about ministry?  Just go on teaching the saved, and hope that the unsaved will get some “crumbs from off the masters’ table.”[3]

But all along, I was aware of what I can now only describe as suppressing God-given, Bible-based urges to tell my congregations that God loves them and that Christ died for them.  My real fear was of drifting into evangelical Arminianism.  Consequently, I withheld from my hearers, to some extent, God’s remedy for his own wrath against every man’s sin!  I was so afraid of this.  In fact, I was so conscious of this at times that I felt that I was disobeying my conscience every time I preached evangelistically, which is a thing that my ordination vows prohibited.  I came so close at times to saying to my congregations that “you are so depraved and helpless that you could not come to Christ even if you wanted to.”  What a travesty of my dear Saviour’s Gospel!  What a travesty of what he suffered for the world on the Cross!  A real tragedy.


[1]   Mt.1:21.
[2]   Compare and contrast James Denney (1892:349)
[3]   Mt.15:27.

No comments: