Thursday 27 October 2011

Academic Theology

I was thinking again about the issue of academic theology - I think we must be careful about this approach because its study has to have a very definite biblical purpose. Academic theology, I think, is a terrible waste of time, as is anything that is purely academic.  Academic stuff is purely about attaining knowledge, and while that in itself is very good, if that knowledge cannot be condensed for the ordinary congregation, then what's the point!  You told me about theologians whose teaching you heard - I am not impressed in the least.  Do people like that just want to impress their students with their great learning?  Is it really about self-promotion?  Is it about making a name for themselves in the academic world?  Where does the "He must increase and I must decrease" idea of John the Baptist's come in? 

The study of theology must be directed towards preparing men for Christian, that is, Gospel, ministry, and others for Christian service and usefulness.  Academic theology is dry and drains from the Christian any motivation they might otherwise have had. 

I heard Derek Thomas say that his aim in teaching theology at RTS was to bring his students to 'love Jesus.'  I thought there was something lovely and simply and profound about that.

No comments: