Sunday 23 November 2008

Too much glibness!

Was it William Cowper who wrote, "Oh, how I fear thee living Lord"? I can speak too glibly about the fear of God, but my hard heart does not feel what I say, alas. We are much too overly familiar with these dreadful words that they just trip off our lips with complete ease. Yet we are not familiar enough with the sweetness of our Lord.

Wasn't it Samuel Rutherford who majored on the sweetness of Christ? I think it was. We would gain great spiritual benefit if we were to meditate on the loveliness of the Saviour. Jonathan Edwards also made much of the sweetness of the Lord. Another of the great preachers of old, Rev. Robert Murray McCheyne, said that for every time we look at our own wicked hearts, we need to look 10 times at Christ. Personally I don't look as much to Christ as I know I ought. We do not bypass Him - that's why we speak so much about Him - but by concentrating excessively upon us and our sin, are we not in danger of seeking to find our acceptance with God in another way and by bypassing Christ? Just a thought to ponder!

No comments: